Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation: "Spend 20 mintues in a silent meditation; a place you won't be disturbed, your own 'fig tree' as was Buddha's inspiration. In those 20 mintue..."

I sat in silence for 20 seconds. Meditation. It was never one of my options when I was stressed. It just never seemed to cross my mind as one of those relaxation activities. I could in fact empty my mind. All I had to do was concentrate on myself at that exact moment. I concentrated on my breathing and let my troubles fade for those 20 minutes. I got inspired by how quickly your mind wonders off. At time I would find myself trying to refocus as my mind lead me to thinking about random things. It simply amazes me how Buddhists can maintain their solitude of meditation. Containing the right thoughts is easy, along with right mindfulness but having the right concentration is what throws me off each time. Concentration is one of the key elements of meditation. I think after this, I am going to start meditating more, continuously work on my right concentration.

No comments:

Post a Comment